Announcing a new online course: Cyber Hygiene for Students and Parents
Last month we announced a cybersecurity course for teachers in this space. This month, we’d like to share a parallel course that teachers can recommend for students and parents regarding this important topic.
In today’s digital age, new technologies and applications are changing the way we play games, interact with friends, share data, and complete school-work. With all these new technologies, students and parents have the added responsibility to understand how to safely navigate these ever-changing environments. Both children and parents must understand the affordances and risks of this digital transformation and must know how to best protect themselves and their data. This course has been designed to help students in grades 7 – 12 and their parents to better understand cybersecurity concepts that impact the world we live in today.
By enrolling in this course, you will:
- Better understand how to keep your whole family safe online.
- Learn to create stronger passwords to secure your information.
- Be able to identify and protect yourself from social engineering tactics.
- Become proficient in identifying and avoiding malware.
- Be able to implement best cyber hygiene practices in your home immediately.
This course was designed with 7th – 12th grade students and their families in mind and identifies important cyber hygiene practices for anyone using the internet or securing information online. Each of the five modules contains interactive content, videos, and quizzes to ensure participants complete the course with a firm understanding of the concepts being taught. While the content itself can be completed within a 3 to 5 hour timeframe, participants are given a period of 30 days so they are able to complete the content on their own terms. Upon completion, a digital badge is awarded to enhance resumes and showcase on professional social media profiles. Cost: $25
Why choose this course?
- Up-to-date course content from a major research university.
- Register on an open-enrollment basis — no application required.
- Learn at your own pace in a convenient online format.
- Gain a foundational understanding of cybersecurity concepts.
Each month FCIT publishes a newsletter with short articles on teaching and learning with technology, using digital content in the classroom, and technology integration. Subscribe today! The subscription form will open in a new window. When you have subscribed, you can close the new window to return to this page.